This tutorial is intended for those Over 18 due to the dangerous nature of such a modification to you Robosapien. For this reason the instructions may not be a step by step guide but will allow those who have some existing technical knowledge the ability to use the same components I have used to complete the flamethrower hack.
I take no responsibility for the way these instructions are used by anyone who attempts this modification. You will be required to work with highly flammable gas, If you have any concerns with what is involved in working on this hack PLEASE DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.
Download video here
Explicit Language Warning!
Well your still reading so I guess your in for the long haul?
Just remember that I did warn you! So now if you blow off a hand or burn your house down you canít blame me! Now we can get down to business. I had seen the V1 flamethrower hack by Adam Plavinskiswhen I was first looking into getting a Robosapien late last year (picture to the right). I wanted to do something similar but it had to be controlled from the remote which was going to be the challenge.
I had stuffed around with some IR transmitters that I installed in the remote and some salvaged IR receivers but they never really performed exactly how I wanted them to. Nocturnal and Robosapien 4mem8 were working on a micro controller that would allow the unused commands on the remote to be used to run devices but unfortunately I think that was a little bit over my head as my brain almost explodes trying to program the VCR without dealing with a Micro controller. I finally settled on purchasing a 4 channel RF transmitter and corresponding receiver board I found on Ebay. The price was right and it saved a lot of hassle building my own circuit. I pulled apart the transmitter keyring and installed it in the V2ís remote. This also gives me 3 spare channels for other mods. You will need to ditch the green laser in the remote to fit the transmitter in, this was something I was more than happy to do.
The main part of the circuit is the gas control gear. I looked around for a solenoid gas valve small enough to be suitable for this purpose but came up with nothing so I looked down the road of using a servo to control the flow of gas. As I have said before I am no good at programing so the servo needed to be modified to utilise just the motor and the gears in the servo. This site shows how to modify the servo.
Click here for larger image
Once this was done I glued the gas tank to the side of the servo and used two screws as levers to push down the gas valve and to hit the microswitches which cut power to the servo once it reaches the desired position. When the DPDT relay is in the off position the servo turns anti-clockwise and stops at the starting position due to the micro switch. When the relay is activated it turns clockwise pushing down the gas lever and stopping when it hits the other microswitch. The pictures above show how I set out the microswitches, relay, gas tank, relay board and servo. Due to all the other work I have done to date it was necessary for me to make this an unsightly bolt on mod as I have no room left inside my V2. If you have the room the relay board could easily hide inside the back of the robot. Click on the circuit diagram to check out how I wired it all up, the diagram includes the wiring to the electronic igniter and connection to the RF relay board. Make sure the servo is wired to the common on the DPDT relay and when the relay is not activated the servo turns anti-clockwise into the starting position.I have also added a mercury tilt switch to the relay board. This switch cuts power to the flamethrower circuit in the event that the robot falls over during operation. Make sure the tilt switch is in the correct position to serve its function.
Well wasnít that fun, as you can see in my circuit diagram I used a separate power supply for the RF relay board. This is necessary to cut out any motor noise from either the servo or the V2ís motors that would interfere with the RF receiver. At this point test the circuit and hopefully the servo kicks into action when you activate the relay, pushing down the gas valve and then returning to the starting position when you disengage the relay. If this is not the case you may need to check your wiring of the microswitches and DPDT relay to make sure they are wire correctly. ¬ If it is all working properly it is time to add the flame thrower!
This was the BBQ lighter I bought for this hack. Iím sure there are a whole heap of others that would be suitable.
Pull it apart and keep the gas line, spark line the lighter tip. You can also use the Gas tank, but I had a larger one lying around that held more gas.
Drill a hole next to the cable leading into the hand to feed down the gas line and the spark line into the hand. Whils the drill is going drill a hole just big enough to fit the Flamethrower end in to make a snug fit. As you can see in the picture to the left the flamethrower is in place and the gas line and one of the two spark wires is in place.
What looks like a primary school kids drawing to the right it meant to show how to wire the sparker to the flamethrower. One wire needs to be soldered to the metal casing (Black wire) and the other to the existing spark wire (Red wire). Make sure you leave enough slack to get to the electronic igniter. Make sure the join with the existing wire is fully insulated using some heat shrink tubing or it will arc on the casing.
This is the hole closer up I have made it tight enough that I did not need to use any glue to hold it in place. If you do this you can also adjust itís position up and down.